Saturday, April 25

Jazz Fest: Part 1

I just finished my second full day of volunteering at New Orleans Jazz Fest. I have already worked over 15 hours (in just two days) and here are some images of the Volunteer T-Shirt given out this year. I love the work (so far!). My official Volunteer title: Music Catering Assistant
This was also a volunteer gift. It's a big red soft covered cooler. Volunteer 2009 - yayy!
So, basically my job revolves around the musicians and all those lovely (sometimes odd) food requests they make. Yup, this is the wacky stuff like only green M&Ms or strickly organic coffee, etc!
In the mornings I bring in sandwich trays from some of the best restaurants in town and then we make lists of all the things each musician wants. Anything and everything from fresh whole limes to Altoids to $300 liquors - we put it together in a nice decorated basket (all pretty like). You should see the pantry they stock everything in - you can get pretty much ANYTHING at Jazz Fest if your playing on stage.
We also put all their drink requests from beer to wine to you-name-it in the coolers to personally deliver to their trailers upon their arrivals!
Some of my handy work with Wilco's fruit basket to Eryka Badu's flowers! I make cute labels and put ribbons on everything, tough work - I know.
When we get a call from the stage manager that the musicians have arrived, we pile up the food/drinks on golf carts and ride out. We get back stage entrances to personally delivery the food wherever the musician requests it.
Some musicians so far that I personally delivered to have been Marc Broussard, who I spoke with for about 3 minutes explaining his food basket I made that morning! Nice guy!
Today we got James Taylor and he asked me to make him a cup of coffee (which I was nervous as hell about) We were also in his trailer when the Jazz Fest president came in to welcome him for playing and they started taking pictures with the press, while we awkwardly but unsuccessfully tried to hide in the background.
We meet Pete Seeger, who celebrated his 90th Birthday while playing at Jazz Fest.
Besides delivering to the Drive-By Tuckers and Chris Ownes (who you'll remember from my Easter Blog Post), I was all over Jazz Fest these last two days. They are 12 stages in all and I know about 8 of the Stage Managers by name now. My volunteer job kicks ass!
Sunday (tomorrow) will be the biggest day this weekend with Dave Matthew's Band playing. Next Saturday will be even crazier with Bon Jovi. If you're free, come on out. The weather is beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!