Monday, June 18

Japan - Five Years Ago

Five years ago, this summer, I returned from living two years in Japan
{ the Japanese on this lantern is just the name of a restaurant }
Even now, I enjoy looking back at my crazy life there
{ me lost in the crowds of Shibuya in Tokyo }
I was introduced to a lot of Japanese culture
{ imitating a demon deity at a Nikko shrine }
And, I traveled to a lot of Japanese historical sites
{ at Himeji Castle with friends during Golden Week }
I tried to experience as much of Japan as possible
{ "women only" Kyoto subway station line }
And, tried some new things I never did back in the US
{ snowboarding in southern Niigata-ken }
I met a lot of wonderful people from all over the world
{ one of our many many "nomihodai" (all-you-can-drink) nights }
And, considered my collegues to be a very professtional bunch
{ my ALT co-workers during the 2006 Tokyo Orientation }
Even though my job title was "Teacher",
I felt I learned even more than my students
{ dressed up for our "Back to School" party in Niigata }
And, made some wonderful experiences overall
{ playing around in the Nikko National Park on a girls trip }
I can't believe five years have flown by...
{ under the vermilion torii gates at Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto }
 and that Japan still has a special place in my heart!
{ part of the Hakone shrine on Mount Komagatake }

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!